- regulation reg‧u‧la‧tion [ˌregjˈleɪʆn] noun1. [countable] LAW an official rule or order:
• The company was found to be in breach of (= to be breaking ) health and safety regulations.
• Tighter regulations are being introduced to protect the environment from car exhaust emissions.one of a set of rules about how buildings should be built, for safety and appearance:
• All structures must comply with (= obey ) the current building regulations.2. [singular, uncountable] control over something, especially by rules:
• the regulation of public spending
• City regulation has failed to deal with insider-dealing and market manipulation.
• There needs to be tighter regulation of advertisements for drugs.ˌstatutory reguˈlation [uncountable] LAWwhen a financial market or industry is controlled by a government organization, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US, rather than being allowed to control itself
* * *Ⅰ.regulation UK US /ˌregjəˈleɪʃən/ noun► [C] LAW, GOVERNMENT an official rule or law: »
They are introducing new policies and regulations for e-commerce.»
environmental/safety/ import regulations»
There are far too many rules and regulations.► [U] LAW, GOVERNMENT the activity of checking that a business is following official rules or laws: »
This affects the operation and regulation of the accounting profession.»
They are looking at the replacement of government regulation by self-regulation and market mechanisms.Ⅱ.regulation UK US /ˌreɡjəˈleɪʃən/ adjective [before noun] WORKPLACE► used to describe official clothes or equipment used by people in a particular type of work: »
All flight attendants are required to wear regulation uniform.»
Security staff are issued with regulation kit.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
régulation — [ regylasjɔ̃ ] n. f. • 1836; « domination » XVe; de régulateur 1 ♦ Vieilli Action de régler, de mettre au point (un appareil). Régulation des compas d un navire. 2 ♦ Le fait de maintenir en équilibre, d assurer le fonctionnement correct (d un… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Regulation — Régulation Pour les articles homonymes, voir Régulation (homonymie). Le terme de régulation renvoie dans son sens concret à une discipline technique, qui se rattache au plan scientifique à l automatique. Sommaire 1 Définition 2 … Wikipédia en Français
regulation — reg·u·la·tion n 1: the act of regulating or state of being regulated 2: an authoritative rule; specif: a rule or order issued by a government agency and often having the force of law see also administrative procedure act in the important laws… … Law dictionary
Regulation Q — is a United States government regulation that put a limit on the interest rates that banks could pay, including a rate of zero on demand deposits (checking accounts). The imposed zero rate on demand deposits encouraged the emergence of money… … Wikipedia
Regulation AB — was introduced in 2004 by the Securities and Exchanges Commission to regulate registration, offering and reporting of public deals of Asset Backed Securities Background Regulation AB is a comprehensive set of new rules and amendments that address … Wikipedia
Regulation D — (also known as Reg D) is a regulation of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the SEC ), and is also a term for an investment strategy, mostly associated with hedge funds, based upon that regulation. It also affects individual savings and … Wikipedia
Regulation U — / yü/ n: a regulation of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System imposing credit restrictions on banks that extend credit for the purpose of buying or carrying margin stock if the credit is secured directly or indirectly by margin… … Law dictionary
Regulation 17 — (French: Règlement 17) was a regulation of the Ontario Ministry of Education, issued in July 1912 by the Conservative government of premier Sir James P. Whitney. It restricted the use of French as a language of instruction to the first two… … Wikipedia
Regulation X — / eks/ n: a regulation of the Department of Housing and Urban Development that implements the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster. 1996. Regulation X … Law dictionary
Regulation T — / tē/ n: a regulation of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System regulating the extension of credit by and to securities brokers and dealers and imposing initial margin requirements and payment rules on securities transactions… … Law dictionary